So … I finally went to the doctor after an 18 month absence.
- Weight … 211 pounds.
- Blood pressure … 153/92.
- Total Cholesterol : 237 mg/dl
- Triglycerides : 670 mg/dl
- HDL : 33 mg/dl
- LDL : unable to calculated since triglycerides are above 400 mg/dl.
- Chol/HDL Ratio : 7.18
The only item that remained stable during those 18 months … the weight. Go figure.
She also said I’m at risk for Type 2 Diabetes.
Ugh. Double Ugh.
- Stop drinking beer for 60 days
- Stop drinking Diet Mountain Dew or any caffeinated beverages while at work and home. Drink flavored water.
- Get serious about a walking program
Maybe I will do the following :
- Buy a new bicycle … gave my old bicycle away about twelve years ago.
- Start the Couch to 5K program again
The Doctor wants me to :
- Focus on weight loss
- Exercise for 30 – 40 minutes 4x weekly
- Follow a low carb / low fat diet
- Stop eating bread, potatoes, rice and pasta.
- Keep salt intake to less than 1500 mg.
Ugh … Some minor thoughts …
Velveeta Mac & Cheese has been my staple for a while now. I’ll need to stop eating that.
I’ll need to order a chicken Caesar salad when I go out to dinner with my parents on Thursday nights. Usually, I order the Smothered Chicken with mashed potatoes. Although the chicken would be good on a low carb diet and the cheese and bacon it is smothered in but the mashed potatoes … probably not.
The doctor said to keep my Sodium intake to under 1500 mg. A can of Campbells Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup has 1,720 mg of Sodium. I usually have one can (sometimes two) for lunch on a normal workday. It only has 470 calories, which is ok for a lunch meal if I was calorie counting but not when I’m counting Sodium.
I don’t like cooking meat products in the kitchen as the grease seems to splatter everywhere. Maybe this is an excuse to buy a propane grill.